The Tobacco Regulatory Science Program (TRSP) is an interagency partnership between the NIH and the FDA Center for Tobacco Products to foster tobacco regulatory research.
With the passage of the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Tobacco Control Act), the FDA acquired the authority to regulate the manufacture, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products in order to protect public health. Within the framework of the Tobacco Control Act, the NIH and FDA formed this partnership to establish a comprehensive research agenda in tobacco regulatory science.
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Research to Advance the Understanding of Tobacco Product Pharmacokinetic Research. The first application date is July 17, 2020.
- K: TRSP reissued the K01and K99/R00 RFAs. The first application date is July 8, 2020.
- R01: The Tobacco Regulatory Science RFA has been reissued with new research priorities. The next application date is July 17, 2020.
- R21: There are new R21 RFAs supporting research using existing datasets and biospecimen collections. The next application dates are July 20, 2020 and August 7, 2020 respectively.
- Resources are available for selected FOAs including FAQs and recorded pre-application webinars.
TRSP encourages research applications that address the FDA's research priorities to better understand toxicity, addiction, and appeal of tobacco products.
In March 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a final rule to require new health warnings on cigarette packages and in cigarette advertisements with photo-realistic color images depicting some of the lesser-known, but serious health risks of cigarette smoking.
The final rule was set to go into effect on June 18, 2021. However, due to disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the effective date has been postponed to October 16, 2021.
An NIH-FDA partnership to foster tobacco regulatory research.
Research projects on tobacco regulatory research funded through TRSP.
Active funding announcements and application information.
Research topic and project priorities for TRSP funding announcements.
Research tools, publications, statistics, and announcements.